Monday, June 28, 2010

Labrador

A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2010

If I were to choose a favourite breed of dog to draw I think the Labrador would come out tops ……. just! There are many breeds I love to portray but I definitely have a huge soft spot for Labs. I’m currently working on a drawing of one who seems to be enjoying a quiet moment to herself, lost in her own world of doggie thoughts. A bit like me at the minute with having so many things in my life to sort out and make decisions on – lots of moments where I am deep in thought, planning what best to do next.

There’s not too much left do on this drawing but enough that I may have to leave it to start something new and go back to it at a later date as I think I need a bit of a change. You can see a couple of progress shots on my Facebook page.

I had a great day out at the Royal Highland Show with my daughter (and camera:)) on Friday and, as always seems to be the case when I go there, have come away inspired – this time to do lots of paintings! I still have a couple of pencil drawings I want to do but I’ll definitely be dusting off my brushes after that.

10 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Goodness knows how many times I've said 'I think this is your best yet Laura' .... but at the risk of repeating myself (!!) I love it.

Can't check WIPs as I abandoned Facebook a few weeks ago ...

Not sure I've ever seen any of your paintings? just cps and graphite. Look forward to them.

Sally McLean said...

magnificent!! you atention to detail is incredible!

Laura said...

Thanks Sue, glad you like it:D You can see this FB page (click on the link in my post) as its for anyone to view and I don't need to have a FB account or anything.

The last time I painted was a few years ago now but looking forward to getting my brushes out again. Not so much cleaning them though:D

Hi Sally and thank you:D

Claire said...

This is beautiful Laura. Absolutely gorgeous! How do you get your graphite photos to look so perfect and clean???

Art with Liz said...

Incredible drawing of a very beautiful animal, but I absolutely love the Boxer. What an amazing face! He's gorgeous.

Sam G said...

Beautiful work! Glad to hear you're gonna bust out the brushes! Yay for inspiration.

Laura said...

Hi Claire and thank you:D I scan all my drawings and then remove the yellow/grey background that is always there unfortunately using photoshop - makes a huge difference I think:)

Thank you Liz - I agree with you, Boxers have such beautiful faces and it's always a pleasure drawing them:D

Thanks Sam - brushes still not out yet but getting there:D

"JeanneG" said...

I love this one. You have such a way with your pencils. Make sure to finish it but I don't know what else there is to finish. It's perfect now to me.

Helen said...

Your work is incredible! I love Labradors as well. Look forward to seeing more.

Dog Dry Skin said...

Yeah. Labs are thinkers. They often have the ponder, deep in thoughts look.

You capture it nicely.