Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Curiosity

'Curiosity'
24.5cm x 19cm, Pencil
Copyright Laura Hardie 2010

I’m running a bit behind with updating my blog lately and seem to put everything art related on my Facebook page much quicker – probably has something to do with the fact I’m on Facebook all the time! I will need to try and keep on top of it in future though.

The Weim I was working on a couple of weeks ago is now finished, titled and ready for the framers where I will choose a mount for it.

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to what colour of mount looks best with graphite, especially now with all the pencil drawings I’ve been doing. In the past I’ve always gone with a dark ‘ash’ or ‘coal’ grey and was very happy with this choice until another graphite artist, whose work I admire a great deal, says this ‘kills’ the drawing and that I should be using white or cream. I’ve tried this and personally think that because I have a plain white background to my drawings it is too much white and the drawing is lost. Even light grey doesn’t seem right somehow – looks ‘washed out’. I’ll maybe try double mounting this time with various greys and whites but can’t help thinking I’ll stay with my old favourites. Would love to know if you have any thoughts on this.

8 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

I love this one Laura :o)

I always use white/cream mounts for graphite work but mainly because the subjects are usually human (and commissioned)where dark grey/black can look funereal.

I've escaped Facebook - I got mega fed up with it - its soooo huge and invasive/addictive. I'm just about at the end of the 14 day de-activisation period and have managed not to respond to any of the prompts from other Facebook members (otherwise it reactivates the account - they don't like you leaving) :o)

Michelle said...

This looks fabulous! Love how he's peaking in from the side. Very good.

I agree with you about the white matting. Since the background is white, there wouldn't be enough contrast. I think I'd go with a dark grey, or even try black to see how it looks.

Brenda said...

Very nice work!

I actually found that a dusky olive drab green with a black core goes very well with graphite. It depends on the subject. In my animal studies, I have gotten away with a forest green. The delivery man just brought a blue that lends itself more to the gray family, that I think will do well with graphite. I do love the black core. It sets off the darks in the graphite well. I am not much of a fan of light mats with bristol board.

Laura said...

Hi Sue, I actually tried using off white mounts foe a couple of my coloured pencil drawings and funnily enough both were commented upon by my clients - neither liked the mount and felt it made the drawing look smaller which I agreed with. I just can't get used to all the white - maybe if I had a background it wouldn't matter so much.

I'm never off FB though I'm getting better,lol. I really like it so far and have met some great people through it, including old friends from school. Just a shame it's so time consuming:D

Thank you Michelle:D I tend to agree with you which is why I loved the dark greys but can't help thinking whether this other artist has a point. Tried black and didn't like it - going to try double mounts now I think.

Hi Brenda - must admit I've never tried greens and wouldn't have even considered those but will try them out next time I'm at the framers:D

Jan said...

If you have a graphics software with the ability to use layers (such as PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro or Paint.net), you can try different colors with each piece of graphite you do. That would give you a good idea of what would look best before you invest in a bunch of mats/matboard because you could try before you buy.

Jan said...

Oh, darn! Forgot to tell you how great this is! I really like it.

Carol Moore said...

Beautiful work Laura! I love the expression you have captured.

Lene Daugaard said...

lovely original drawing - and wonderful textures :)