Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Adding colour

A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2009
Here are the next two stages showing colour being added onto my grisaille underpainting. I am so used to working the way I do with my pencils that it has certainly been ‘strange’ starting in this way. As with all new techniques, it will take practice, trial and error to improve but it is definitely an area I’d like to explore more – in painting as well.

Saying this I am happy so far with how the drawing is progressing.

3 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Oh I do love a work in progress picture! I had to smile at how weird the horse looked in the top picture. :-) I enjoyed seeing where the work progresses to in the second photo. This is already a beautiful piece and the colours are turning out wonderfully. Your learning curve isn't showing!! You are handling the grisaille technique like a pro. Well done!

Laura said...

Thank you Teresa. Yes, he does look pretty weird in the top picture doesn't he:) I'm glad you're enjoying the progress shots - I keep meaning to take more as I too enjoy seeing other artists work in progress shots but I get engrossed in what I'm doing and forget:)

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

Fascinating to watch this process. Love it; beautiful!