Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A couple of updates

Zara
A Work in Progress
Copyright Laura Hardie 2009

Not a big update but an update all the less, which shows a bit more work has been done to her body. Quite a bit more needs to be done in this area but it will have to wait as I work on my next commission of a chocolate lab – you can see my reference for this in the sidebar. I’ve made a start but it’s still in the early stages and there’s really not enough on paper just yet to warrant a progress shot.

Work still continues with my prints after encountering yet more unforeseen problems over the weekend – not that I should really be surprised. While I had hoped at this point to excitedly tell all that my prints were now ready I instead have to console myself that it’s not to be, at least for the time being. I am progressing; I am getting there and I am learning – it’s just taking (a lot) longer than I’d planned.

8 comments:

Lesley Ann Hartman said...

Hi Laura,

Beautiful work as always and many thanks for posting the 'work in progress' shots. How do you manage to get such a lovely blend with your coloured pencils? May I ask which brand you are using and how you apply them? I run a small art group(working with soft pastel mostly) and the ladies are very interested. Lesley

Colette Theriault said...

OMG, that is AMAZING!

Edward Burton said...

WOW, outstanding job!

Grahame Butler said...

Hi Laura, this is a beautiful piece of work, haveing owned 3 boxerd's myself I know just how well you have captured this great dog, I'm hoping to start a drawing of my old boxer in the next week or so, and seeing this has made me decide to get out the CP's again

Laura said...

Hi Lesley, welcome to my blog:)

I use just about every brand of pencil on the market. I started out using Derwent Artist and loved them (still do) but then slowly added to my collection as time went on. I will use different brands on the one portrait and have had no problems doing so. For my portrait of Zara for example, I have used pencils from the Derwent Artist, Derwent Colouroft, FC Polychromos, Caran D'Ache Luminance and Prismacolor ranges. If I were to choose my favourites they would be the Derwent Artist and FC Polychromos - the harder leads as opposed to the softer, creamier ones like Derwent Coloursoft and Prismacolor.

I start a portrait working from light to dark and build my colours up this way through many, many layers. I keep my pencils sharp at all times and my layers light - it is not unusual for there to be up to 20 layers (maybe even more) in some parts of my drawings. Building up my layers in this way gives me the depth I aim for.

Hope this helps answer your question but let me know if it doesn't:)

Laura said...

Thank you Gail, Colette and Edward - your comments are much appreciated:)

Hi Grahame - glad you like how this drawing is progressing. I too love Boxers and think they have the most beautiful faces. Zara was very small for a boxer as you can probably tell from the drawing.

Can't wait to see your drawing and I'm so pleased I inspired you to get out the coloured pencils again:)

Lesley Ann Hartman said...

Hi Laura,

Many thanks for your reply. Great to find an artist who will share :) I just love your work and will drop in often. Thanks again, Lesley.

Laura said...

I've never been the best at explaining things but I'm more than happy to help if and where I can:)