Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Chocolate Lab

It’s been some time coming but at last we are getting some nice weather with, importantly, lots of sun. Only problem is I want to make the most of it, which means time away from the drawing board. It’s a good opportunity however to look for and take some much needed reference material for future drawings so don’t feel too guilty.

Here are the first stages of my next portrait as mentioned very briefly in my last post. Ideally I should be further along than where I am now but staying hopeful that it will be finished by Sunday, otherwise I'll be playing catch-up. When completed this will be 16x12 inches in size so quite big for coloured pencil.

6 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Absolutely amazing!! Simply beautiful. I love your pencil work.
Colette

Jennifer Rose said...

looks very real! the nose looks really wet. well done :)

Totally Timmy said...

Your pencil work is just gorgeous!

Grahame Butler said...

Beautiful work! you have captured Milly to perfection, which type of paper are you using? Im working on stonehenge at the moment and find it hard to get used to after the smoothness of Bristol Board.

Laura said...

Thank you everyone for your comments and support - they really do mean a lot:)

Grahame, in answer to your question I use Fabriano Artistico hot pressed watercolour paper (140lb). I haven't yet found a paper I like better so stick with it:)

I have to admit to not having tried Bristol Board yet as I didn't think it would take many layers of pencil after using it for some graphite pencil work. It was a bit too smooth for me - how do you find it, can you build up lots of layers?

Stonehenge, on the other hand is slightly rougher than the hp watercolour paper and don't use it for this reason. It is however a favourite with many cp artists.

Grahame Butler said...

Thanks Laura. I also think there is not enough tooth on the Bristol board paper for Cp's, I will give the paper you mention a try, I feel I am not getting the deepth of colour I want with the stonehenge, and the way it fluffs up drives me crazy. thanks for the info.