Sunday, October 07, 2007

Cocker Spaniels

Morse and Lewis
16x12 Coloured Pencil
Commission

My latest portrait of two Cocker Spaniels is now finished - 33 hours later, taking slightly longer than I had planned. I blame it on the ears. I'm going to be honest here, I've never been totally happy doing Spaniels ears in coloured pencil (and I love their floppy ears) but don't have this problem with pastel or paint.

It's all those layers of curls and flicks going this way and that and trying to create depth at the same time that I find a bit daunting. Strange I know but true all the same. Despite my 'struggle', and I'm sure we all have them, I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Is there a subject you find challenging or dislike doing? Do let me know and help make me feel less guilty about picking on Spaniels ears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww its beautiful Laura,but know what you mean about all the curls this way and that a way, but you have done it so well.

Lene Daugaard said...

Hi Laura
they are beautiful - cannot see you had problems with those curls ;)
Lene