Thursday, January 31, 2008

A horse in progress part 2

A work in progress - Coloured Pencil on paper
Looking at my desk today - unorganised chaos with coloured pencils everywhere - set me thinking how I should really come up with a better storage solution for them. Not that I haven’t been thinking about it, or looking for that perfect ‘thing’ for some time now. Something that could rotate would be good.

My problem is that I have literally hundreds of pencils – some may think far too many but believe it or not I use them all, bright yellows, greens and pinks excluded. To give you an idea of just how many, I have sets of Derwent Artist (my favourite), Studio, Signature and Coloursoft, Prismacolor, Prismacolor Verithin, FC Polychromos, Lyra Rembrandt and a good number of Caran d’Ache Pablo’s. And that doesn’t include my watercolour pencils! I like them all for different reasons. I suppose you could say I am to coloured pencils what Imelda Marcos was to shoes.

Anyway, no matter how I store them I always find I spend too long looking for the pencil I want, which gets frustrating at times, and I normally end up with pencils everywhere. Then there is the problem of finding the perfect inventory system that will ensure I don’t run out of pencils, but that’s another story.

Any ideas gratefully received.

1 comment:

Lene Daugaard said...

I love your colored pencils drawings. They are beautiful.
About storing/finding cp's easily. I used to sort mine by brand (and mixed colors in the cups). It took so long to find the pencil I wanted. I now have made a label for each cup and sort pencils by hue instead (and mix brands if not too many pencils are inclued). That helped me to find colors more quickly ;) I have a mixed cup with "extra pencils".
For remembering to order new pencils; if I pick up a "small" pencil, I look into my "extra" cup, and if it's not there I simply write it down untill I have enough to make an order....