Sunday, July 20, 2008

Computer problems and another horse

High Spirits
9x12, Coloured pencil

I’ve taken a break from my easel this week and instead spent much needed time trying to move data from one computer (my old one which is currently on its last legs) to another (a lovely new Mac, which lives in my studio). Normally this should be straightforward but, as with all things involving technology and myself, I’ve had nothing but problems resulting in me nursing a headache these past few days.

I really don’t want to bore you with the details but can tell you that I am no further forward than when I started out at the beginning of the week. I even have the experts at Apple Mac scratching their heads in bewilderment. I’d been doing everything right according to them, which is good to know at least - I’m obviously not as dim as I thought I was in these matters. They are now off to have a look at their manuals to see what/where the problem could be and I’m currently waiting on them to get back to me. All I want is to get my printer up and running so I can start working on the prints I’ve been promising to do for long enough. I am getting there, albeit painfully, and it shouldn’t be too long now.

Despite everything, I have managed to fit a bit of relaxing drawing time in and finished another horse I’ve had sitting on the easel for a while. I’m really pleased with this one considering it nearly ended up in the bin half way through it’s making.

4 comments:

April Jarocka said...

Laura your horse portraits are simply out of this world! I am a big horse lover and fan of photorealism and can't believe your horse here is in coloured pencil! It must take you weeks to finish just one. You are definitely inspiring me to paint another horse or two in 2009. All the best!

Debbie said...

I just love your work Laura! I'm a colored pencil artist also and am amazed at your use of color and accuracy!
Do you burnish and what paper do you use? I've been looking at your WIP paintings and am so impressed and enjoying your Blog.

Laura said...

April, thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments. Yes, I have to agree, working in coloured pencil is a slow process but I do think the finished result is worth it (well most of the time:))

Thank you ddmozart:) I use Fabriano Artistico hp watercolour paper for the majority of my cp work and haven't yet come across one to beat it.

I personally don't burnish as I was never happy with the results I got from doing so - just many, many layers of pencil for me:)

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

Your drawings of the two horses are extraordinary! No background necessary, in my humble opinion. I rarely draw animals, so really respect and admire those who do them well. And you do them very well indeed.